In The Beginning ….
Throughout the years many people have been a part of this congregation. We are grateful for all those who have worked in faithfulness to preserve the mission of this congregation proclaiming God’s love in Jesus Christ.
In June 1958, the American Lutheran Church approved Richmond, BC, as the location for a new congregation to be established under the “Package Mission” program. Funds were made available to purchase land and house, build a new church, and call a pastor. The location of this new mission, Our Savior Lutheran Church, was 8080 Francis Road.
Construction of the church began in October 1958, completed and dedicated July 12, 1959, the same date which services began in the new chapel with 135 baptised charter members.
Throughout the years, Our Saviour’s has ministered to the needs of this community, at times a struggling congregation. The debt of $80,000 was retired and the mortgage burned on the 25th Anniversary, September 1984. Beginning in the late 1970’s and 1980’s, plans were formulated and reformulated for an expansion program on the 8080 property. However, this proved economically unsound. In 1987 a congregational decision was made to sell the property and relocate to our present site, 6340 No.4 Road. With an active Building Committee, a vibrant congregation, a stewardship program, and the funds realized from the sale of 8080 Francis, dreams for a new worship home were formulated and the rest is history.
Construction began April 17, 1988. Our first worship service was held in the Fellowship Hall on September 4, 1988, an incredible feat! Our sanctuary seats 255 people with overflow seating for another 100. The Chancel furnishings including the mahogany crucifix, altar, lectern, credence table, and baptismal font were the creation of Ernst Schwidder, then Professor of Art and Design of Pacific Lutheran University, Seattle. We enjoy individual classrooms for our Sunday school and house a Childcare Centre and a Preschool, both of exceptional calibre. The total cost of this facility with land was $1.15 million.
On February 4, 1989, our name changed to Our Saviour, as a new constitution was accepted. October 21, 1990, two years after moving in, the wonderful stained glass windows, designed by Mark Eric Gulsrud of Tacoma, Washington, were dedicated. The cost of $42,000 was raised primarily by donations from individual congregants.
As we celebrate our past forty years, we rejoice, offering praise and thanksgiving! Our future is filled with hope as we are bound to Jesus Christ who is the Christ of the future. To God Be The Glory !